New Year's resolutions for 2018

A new year can feel like a fresh start. It is like a blank piece of paper that has not been written on yet. This certainly boosts the motivation for many of us, making us take our aspirations more seriously. I myself am not a stranger to this effect. Some of my New Year's resolutions belong to the environmental corner, so I've decided to share them here.

Here are my New Year's resolutions for 2018.

Buy less than five pieces of clothing
One thing that I find somewhat irritating is being unable to wear all my clothes. There are of course different reasons for that. I have both special and formal wear that I use infrequently, but that's not the kind of clothing I have in mind. I also have casual wear that rarely sees daylight. To me, this indicates that I own both too many pieces, and some that I do not feel comfortable in.

Fortunately, I have already donated and sold off a significant amount, but I am still unable to wear it all. I hope that by the end of 2018, I will be left with something that resembles a capsule wardrobe. I will continue to sell and donate, but refraining from new purchases should make this goal even more achievable.

So, why five? Well, I'm not aiming to buy five clothing pieces in 2018. It's just that I can't predict what I might need. These five purchases are not intended for fashionable clothing, but rather functional. I will allow it if it's absolutely necessary and there's no other way around it. Hopefully, I'll buy nothing.


Produce a minimal amount of non-recyclable waste
I'm still only in a transitional phase. I don't feel ready to commit fully to the zero waste/plastic-free lifestyle. I can currently pull off a zero non-recyclable waste.

These lifestyles can be extra difficult in small countries, especially when you don't live in the large cities. The local options can be very limited. Sometimes the less eco-friendly alternative, paradoxically, becomes the most eco-friendly one. Traveling a long distance for an eco-friendly product, or having it shipped to you takes the "eco-friendliness" out of it.

Anyway, my goal is to go zero non-recyclable waste. I'll still make an effort to minimize my use of plastic and unnecessary waste. I've thought about getting a jar to keep track of my mistakes, but we'll see.


Make a video for this blog
I've already made a video, but I was hardly in it and didn't say a word. I'd like to make one where I discuss a topic. This idea has been on my mind since I started this blog.

English is my third language and I'm not always that confident in my writing. Discussing through speech feels more natural sometimes and I already have a few topics in mind.


Do a cleanup
This one is pretty straightforward. Whether it's a beach, forest or something more public like a park, I'd like to do a cleanup.


0 comments