My near zero waste makeup

I have accumulated a nice little collection of organic makeup products with nearly plastic-free packaging. I have already reviewed some of these products and I'll leave links to those reviews. However, I've never showed how these products look on my face, something I desperately seek in other people's reviews.

I don't wear makeup on a daily basis, that has been one of reasons why I didn't add any photos. I also realized that wearing glasses is not a good idea for an eye makeup review. Long story short, I didn't have any photos of myself wearing makeup without my glasses on. Luckily, I wore contact lenses and makeup during the holidays (hurray!). I finally have some decent photos I can use.

Now, I'm no beauty guru. I prefer a very plain look. I shun black pigments in makeup so much that I never wear mascara or eyeliner. I still believe my photos can give you an idea of how these products look on a face. The photos were taken without a flash, in front of natural lighting (my window, hah). I've also adjusted the brightness, as raw images tend to be dull and unsaturated.


My near zero waste makeup
None of these products have been tested on animals.

Kjær Weis
This is a makeup brand founded by the New York-based, Danish-born makeup artist Kirsten Kjær Weis. The brand combines sustainability and luxury. All the ingredients are certified natural or organic and the products come in a sleek, refillable alloy containers, making them very zero waste and plastic-free.

I use the eye shadows Cloud Nine and Wisdom and I've already made a more detailed review about them here.

Eye shadow, Cloud Nine
Cloud Nine is a pastel-pink eyeshadow with medium shimmer. I use it on the inner corner of my eyelid and sometimes as a highlighter for my cheekbones. For this I use generic sponge eye shadow applicator.

Eye shadow, Wisdom
Wisdom is medium shimmer too and has a cool brown shade that's neither light or dark. What I love about this eye shadow is that it's buildable. I blend it out thoroughly on my lids with EcoTools' eye shading brush because I prefer a mild look, but I also this eye shadow to create a smokey winged liner with my EcoTools' angled liner brush.


RMS Beauty
This is an American brand created by makeup artist Rose Marie Swift. Her story is interesting. After working in the cosmetic industry for years, she developed health issues. It turned out that she had toxic levels of chemicals found in makeup in her body. This inspired her to create her own brand and help women claim their right to healthy beauty. I've also reviewed my RMS beauty products before.

Un' cover-up concealer, shade 000.
I use this concealer under my eyes to soften my dark circles and to cover up my occasional blemishes. I don't use any brushes or tools for this.

Lip2cheek, illusive
This one is mainly for my lips. I use it on my cheeks sometimes too and I did in the photos.

Packaging
These products are plastic-free, with the exception being a thin plastic sticker on the bottom of the jar. The jar itself is made out of glass and lid is tin, making it very recyclable.


Physician's formula
This is an American brand that has been around for quite some time and specializes on creating makeup for very sensitive skin.

Gentle wear, organic pressed powder, translucent medium
I use this powder exclusively under my eyes after applying the 'un' cover-up concealer. This is to prevent the concealer from creasing and smudging. I apply the powder with my EcoTools airbrush concealer.

Packaging
This product is not completely plastic-free. The powder comes in a paper maché like container but it has two thin plastic windows, one on the top and one on the bottom. It also includes a brush with a plastic handle. I am seeking a future replacement for this one.


Maria Ã…kerberg
This is a Swedish brand that sells organic skincare products but also makeup. I don't think the products are available outside of Scandinavia, which is a pity because this brand has the best hair conditioner I've tried. I have been using Maria Ã…kerberg's shampoo and conditioner for four years now (mentioned in this post: Bar soap for your hair?).

Brow Pencil, perfect for blondes
Years of plucking has thinned my brows. I use this pencil to fill in what's lost, ha ha! This is a wooden pencil but it's not entirely plastic-free because of the plastic cap.

What I didn't mention in the photo and why
I didn't mention my lip liner by the French brand Terre d'Oc. I believe the brand has discontinued their makeup. Terre d'Oc still sells skincare products, but I can't find my lip liner anywhere online. I excluded it because I don't want to recommend something that is unavailable.

It's a shame though. I loved this pencil so much that I hoarded a whole bunch when my Norwegian retailer was having a clearance sale. Is it plastic-free though? Like most lip, eye or brow pencils, no. It has the usual plastic cap. When the time comes I'll find a replacement, hopefully one with a plastic-free cap. Kjær Weis' new lip pencils are potential candidates but I'm not liking the current shades.

Thank you for reading! If you have any questions, please feel free to ask. I don't bite. :)



0 comments