Safety Razors

Safety razors are seemingly becoming more popular again. I know I've mentioned the safety razor before, but I feel like it deserves its own post.

Disposable products contain way too much plastic. Single use razors or replaceable razors heads are contributing to the problem because they are both non-recyclable and end up in landfill. Although cartridge razors can be reused thanks to replaceable heads, one must not forget that these heads still contain plastic and are non-recyclable. This plastic will eventually degrade into microplastic, something that is already everywhere in the ocean and affecting the life in it. What makes safety razors great is that they're completely plastic-free, that includes the blades. Although steel isn't exactly biodegradable it does corrode but it takes forever. The bright side is that it doesn't turn into something that poses a threat to the ecology. Also, depending on where you live, the blades might be recyclable.

I know people are shunning safety razors in fear of cutting themselves. I was worried too because using one felt quite different from what I was used to. What I can say is that you get used to it quickly. At least I did and I can proudly say that I've never cut myself. When I was transitioning I started with my legs. I felt that shaving my legs would be the easiest place to begin. Once I got a sense of control I included my armpits and more private parts. Speaking of shaving private parts, shaving them is the biggest concern online when it comes to safety razors. I'll admit that it was terrifying to begin with, but like I mentioned, I've never cut myself. The trick is to have a fair amount of lather. Don't apply pressure to the razor, just slide it across the skin. Also, hold/tighten the skin near the areas your shaving. You don't want to be pulling your skin. I'm pretty sure that's how you end cutting yourself. The most important tip is to go slow.

The razor I have is a woman's safety razor by Edwin Jagger and I currently use Astra blades. There is no particular reason to why I chose this razor. It was sold by a local retailer and was on sale. Even on sale it was a little bit expensive because these razors are. However, they are an investment for life and do pay for themselves in the long run. The blades are a lot cheaper than the replaceable cartridge heads and the safety razor itself is much more durable.

The shaving cream and shaving brush is from Ecco-Verde.

Thank you for reading! I hope this gave a little bit of insight if you're considering buying one.


0 comments