Sustainable in the bathroom

A lot of non-recyclable plastic waste is generated in the bathroom. That's because many of the things we use when we groom ourselves are for single-use only. Many of these things can be swapped into better alternatives. Here's a list of some single-use items and what you should replace them with for a more zero waste-like lifestyle.

Cotton swabs

Cotton swabs are non-recyclable because of their plastic rod. They're a nightmare for the environment but you can infact get ones that are made out of bamboo or paper. Both of these are completely biodegradable so you can compost them. Read my post about cotton swabs.

Cotton pads
These are completely unecessary. I use cotton cloths and I have been using them my whole life, before my sustainable days. I know some people make washable cotton pads but I think a cloth will do too.

Toothbrushes
Replace your plastic toothbrush with a bamboo toothbrush. You can read more about bamboo brushes in this older post.

If you travel a lot and want to avoid using plastic bags for your tooth brush, get a bamboo toothbrush case. Mine is by Hydrophil.

Bottled soaps and body wash
Replace your bottled soaps with a bar soap. If you're from Europe, you package free soap from Ecco-Verde or Etsy. Local health shops may also sell soaps that are either packaged in paper or unpackaged. You can try to use bar soap as shampoo too but my experience is that these are very drying on your scalp and hair. Even the ones made for hair and your hair should not suffer just because being environmental. I buy bulk shampoo in a large recyclable plastic bottles so I won't have to buy small ones frequently.

Shaving
You should absolutely not use single use razors, this is the least environmental type. They're plastic and non-recyclable. Cartridge razors with replacable blades are hardly any better too. The replacement blades have plastic on them and they're not recyclable too. The best alternative is safety razors, are plastic free and will last you a lifetime. You only need razor blades that are entirely plastic free and cheaper than the cartridge blades. Safety razors can be expensive but do pay for themselves in the long run. (Read my post about safety razors)

Some people are scared of cutting themselves with safety razors. I'll admit that I too was scared because safety razors definitely feel different to use. I only shaved my legs only until I felt more comfortable using it. Which took less than a month. I can shave anything now with my safety razor and I've never cut myself with it.

If you feel a little daring, you can get a straight razor.

Soap sachet
In the photo below there's a soap sachet by Hydrophil. I really recommend one for the soap bars. You can put those tiny useless pieces in the sachet and use them up completely. The sachet also works as an exfoliating sponge. I consider this one of my best zero waste purchases.

Dental floss
Get floss that comes in a sustainable container that is refillable. Read my post on dental floss.


0 comments