Zero waste dental floss

Unless you're already a zero waster, I will bet that your dental floss comes in a plastic container. Single or short-term use plastic is a big no-no. How many of you actually recycle your floss container? I've sinned that way too, thrown it away without giving it much thought. I could have thrown it into the plastic bin (we have those at home in Norway) but didn't. It didn't really cross my mind at the time.

But Elinor, I cannot quit flossing! Yeah, I know. That would be disgusting! The good news is that you can totally make flossing much more environmental. Several companies are now making dental floss in glass dispensers with metallic lids. The good news doesn't end there, the dispensers are totally refillable.

There are several options. For my American friends I'd recommend Dental Lace. The dispenser even comes with a stylish design in different colors. You can either get Dental Lace from their website or from Life Without Plastic. For my fellow Europeans, the Italian brand Tea Natura has a similar floss. The company's site is in Italian so it's not very foreigner friendly. I bought Tea Natura's Filo Dentale from Ecco Verde instead. My number one natural skin care and makeup retailer (the European iHerb). Unfortunately, I can't seem to find any refills for Tea Natura on Ecco Verde. I'm not sure if there are refills for Tea Natura at all. It doesn't really matter because Vömel's (German brand) refill is basically identical and that's what I'm refilling it with.

So why didn't I just get Vömel's container to begin with? Well, when I made the switch to environmental floss I was buying other things from Ecco Verde too. It was more practical to buy all the things at once and from the same retailer.

I'll should probably add that these flosses are not entirely plastic free. Tea Natura's floss comes in a tiny plastic bag and so does some of the refills. However, the reduction of plastic is still significant this way. The tiny plastic bags are also totally recyclable.

Where to buy



This is what it looks like when it's new, only without the tiny plastic bag that it came in.

0 comments